Sunday, January 2, 2011

Ode to Coco



"I don't do fashion, I am fashion."

Straight from the goddess of fashion herself, Coco Chanel knew a thing or two about looking good. Her signature style made her an icon among the fashionistas of both her time and throughout history. She is known throughout the world for her ability to transform the ordinary in to extraordinary. She is fashion.

So why is Chanel so meaningful to me? I shall tell you. I grew up smelling Chanel No. 5 on a daily basis. My mother, who passed away over twelve years ago, would spray it on herself morning, noon, and night. My mother was the perfume and the perfume was her. She would never leave the house without it and everyone knew when she walked in the room. Like myself, my mother had a passion for fashion...hmm maybe that's where I got it from? I'll tell you about the times I would play dress up in her closet another day.

As you can see from above, the perfume wasn't the only Chanel goodness my mother loved. Sadly, I can't remember her wearing the scarf all that much, but I'll consider myself lucky for having ownership of the magnificent piece of silk.

Both Coco Chanel and my mother were influential people in their own ways. One introduced the little black dress and one helped me become the person I am today. So who has influenced you?

No comments:

Post a Comment